Friday, March 11, 2011

Garlic Rosemary Bread

This is how I survived Winter Quarter 2011: 


Baking bread has become my recharge and my stress reliever. 

And as is usual at the end of a quarter or semester of school, it's time to take all those things you may (or may not) have learned and compile them together to create something original and comprehensive; something that demonstrates the understandings you have gained from you class time, reading, homework and projects. 

I figured I have the basics of bread making down, and the ratios of liquid to flour to yeast down, so I decided it was time to venture out on my own and demonstrate all the bread making skills I have attained... sort of. 


Actually, I just thought that adding garlic and rosemary to the Olive Oil Dough recipe would be uhh-mazing.

And it was. 

What I'm trying to say is that I took this loaf for snack time during my Mountaineers class... and the bread received a few compliments. Actually, a lot of compliments. And it was devoured.

 I think that means I earned an "A."



(Forgive me for being a blogging Trader Joe's advertisement sometimes.)


Garlic Rosemary Bread Ingredients 
2 3/4 cups lukewarm water 
1 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast 
1 1/2 Tbsp salt 
1 Tbsp sugar 
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 
2 tsp rosemary 
2 tsp garlic powder 
6 1/2 cups unbleached flour (feel free to use up to half whole wheat) 



Add the yeast, salt, sugar, rosemary, garlic powder and olive oil to the bowl and pour in the water. Mix gently and then add all the flour, mixing well with a wooden spoon until even.

Let rise for 2 hours, then use right away or you can store it for up to 10 days in the refrigerator.

When you are ready to bake, shape the bread as desired. Since I recently discovered the joys of braided bread, I made more braided loaves. Let them warm up for 40 minutes on a well floured pizza peel and pre-heat the oven and the baking stone to 500 F. Or use a bread pan.

Decrease the temperature to 450 F and bake for 30 minutes. Place an old pie-tin with boiling water on another rack to create steam.


Let them cool and admire your handiwork. 


Breathe deeply because now you can reap the benefits of your labors. 






1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice work, Jenn!